<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/16436977?origin\x3dhttp://naneaallen.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, September 08, 2005



The Name Game

The most popular questions thus far is "so, have any names?" The answer is, yes, but we're not going to tell!! No, seriously, we have a few maybes. We're leaving our options open till Baby Allen is here, and we see her face, and see what matches. OK, so you all know, Baby Allen is a "she." Also, my very wise friend Tiff told me that we as human beings already have so much baggage when it comes to names (that girl we hated in high school, the boy who relentlessly teased us in the 3rd grade), the last thing we need to do is add other people's name-baggage to the mix. So, therefore, we are keeping our choices a secret, and you will all get a nice birth announcement when the baby arrives :)!

However, it's all very interesting to hear what other people are going to name their babies. In class last week, I was eavesdropping on a conversation between 2 young-ish couples talking about the normal pregnant stuff, "when are you due?", "what are you having?", and the ever-popular, "do you have a name?" To my amusement/part-horror, one of the nice young girls repsponded, "Yes, we've finally decided on 'Jedi' for our son." JEDI?? As in Star Wars? You've got to be kidding me. But, alas, she was completely serious. Then, her boyfriend/husband, came back in the classroom, and said that he is still trying to convince her to name their future son, "Darth Vadar." Again, completely serious. I'm sorry, but what is wrong with people? Give your children normal names. Don't spell them weird, and don't name them after fictional movie characters! Trust me, this is coming from a person who's first name is CHELLO, and who has always been known by ALOHA. Not normal (sorry mom and dad). Do you know how much is sucks for people to constantly ask, "is that really your name?" Or, "what does that mean?" I've also noticed that the people who name their children "unique" names, always have "normal" names. You may think it's cool, or fun, and you may have always hated your boring name, but trust me, it's WAY better than a weird one...

OK, enough of my name-tirade. Of course, people should name their children whatever they want. But, from this post, you can probably guess Baby Allen's name will not be very exciting...but to me, VERY exciting, and normal :)!

alohab @ 7:58 AM
4 comments

Comments:
Amen, sister! Love, the girl named Mikie.
 
MY SIL works for the Omaha public school district, and she swears that there are a brother and sister pair named "Orangejello" and "Lemonjello" (pronounced or-an-gello and la-mon-gello).

Slightly unique is cool (I love my girls Mikie and Aloha! I was always so JEALOUS of your cool names!!)- but STRANGE and MADE UP are another!! :-)
 
Hmm... "Chello" you'll have to talk to Mom about. Aloha was Puna's (grandma's) name. Mikie is what I've called my sis, Michaele, since I learned to talk, many decades ago (don't know where Michaele came from). Both "Mikies" are very special people, and so's Aloha (Chello). My name is Leslie, my grandpa's name, supposedly from an old family name, Lasley. I've never especially liked it since it's unusual for a guy, and I prefer "Les." But now that I'm world-famous and a super star (ha-ha!)I guess it's okay. Love, Dad (that Les guy)
 
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!I cannot stop laughing! THat is hilarious! And can I just say amen about keeping the baby's name secret until she comes! How are you gonna name someone if you haven't even seen him/her yet? Anyhow, I was just browsing through your journal and couldn't resist commenting on this! We have to get together some time soon, okay? Take care! leiali'i
 
Post a Comment


Name: alohab
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile


Powered by Blogger